Saturday, September 2, 2017

Life is Good

Image result for life is good

When Randy and I got here last year, a couple of the teachers recommended us to get a maid (an Ayi) and massages.  At first I said, what? I can do my own dishes and such. And massages? That can wait.  So we stuck it out for a couple of weeks then we decided, well, let's try out the Ayi.  That might open up some free time for us. And besides, I've always wanted a maid. 

Wow, what a difference an Ayi makes.  We have Cao Li Ni come in twice a week to clean, do our laundry and iron.  WOWZA. I love Mondays and Wednesdays.  I literally come into the apartment and take in a huge sigh. She does make a difference and we so appreciate it. It does open up time for us to explore, to do school work, pick up a hobby, what else? Let's try the massage thing.

Our first experience with a massage was Owen.  He would come to our apartment and give us a 'dry' massage. That means we have our PJ's on and he massages on top of our clothes with his thumb. I call him the man with the steel thumbs!  At first, he was a bit hard on me.  But he knows enough English to understand to lighten up a bit. He will work on whatever part hurts. Mine is the left shoulder and sometimes my lower back. He has been coming to us every Monday.  (last year we had him come Mondays for Randy and Thursdays for Me) He does both of us, one hour each.  I don't know how he does it but I love my Mondays and it only costs us 100 RMB each (about .  

Since Owen, we have gotten the massage bug.  We excitedly hear about a massage experience and we want to try it.  Last Sunday, Sarah Applegate, Jennifer Sylvester and I tried out this next one close to home (about 15 minutes) that Jennifer loves.  It is a foot and ginger soak/rub.  It focuses on your feet but there is a massage included. I enjoyed it enough for me to go back.  So Randy and I with Sarah's family are going back today for a foot and ginger soak massage. So looking forward to it.

 Life is good.  We have looked for things that make our life meaningful and rich. These little things, an Ayi and massages, makes our lives rich. Helps us face the cold harshness that life can throw at us here in China. Yes, we could do just fine without these services, these services that we have never had (a maid) or a service we only get once a month back in the states.  Now that we have these in our lives, we are able to focus more on the task in front of us; make a difference to those around us especially our students. And isn't that why we are here? Life IS good.


No comments:

Post a Comment