Sunday, January 22, 2017

I love my country; I love my children

Loving my country is similar to loving my children. It is unconditional and I will not give up.  That is the optimism in me.  There are times I don't like my sons.  They irritate me, frustrate me and sometimes confuse me at times. Did I ever feel like giving up? There never was a time.  Let me say that again - there NEVER was a time.  Why?  Its not an option. Giving up on my sons was not an option and giving up on my country is not an option either. Yes, I am frustrated, irritated, scared and confused at times.  But I believe in America.  I believe in the good of the American people just like I believe in Josh and Kyle. I believe our sons are good and just. I am proud to be called their Mom. And I am proud to be called an American.
 So what does one do when you don't like what's going on in our country?  Well, what did I do with my son's when they misbehaved or their behavior was not appropriate? I put them in time out. I role modeled the behavior that was respectfully appropriate. I took away privileges (toys, cell phones, car) or enforced restrictions (computer use, out with friends). All those consequences, all the work that goes into being an effective parent, you hope and pray they grow up to be engaging and productive citizens in our society.  Yes, I know what you are saying; surely, Liz, you're not suggesting we put President Trump into time out or take away privileges? No, but we should expect accountability, law abiding and a respectful President.  This goes for our senators and representatives as well.
I have said to Josh and Kyle many times, "you are meant for greatness!" "stop saying and DO!" My fellow Americans I am saying to all of you, YOU ARE MEANT FOR GREATNESS and STOP SAYING and DO SOMETHING! Participate, advocate, donate, volunteer!!! Our government needs us more than ever.  They need to hear our voices loud and clear. The women's march was a great start.  I truly wish I was in the states and able to participate in the march. I loved waking up Sunday morning (China time) and scrolling through the many posts on Facebook of the many people marching for 'women's rights- human rights'.  My brothers with their wives and daughters each participating in their own cities, Moscow, ID., Bellingham, WA., Seattle, WA.. Various countries participated in the march as well such as Poland, United Kingdom, Netherlands and Hong Kong. That was uplifting to hear-WOW! 
 Whether you like Trump or not, that is not the issue here.  The issue is WE the people need to rise up and speak our minds.  Contact your senators. Volunteer wherever you can. Let your voice be known. If you feel like giving up, Don't! I will never give up on America.  I love my country and I believe greatness will come of this.  As sure as I am of my sons, I am sure for the United States of America.



No comments:

Post a Comment