Saturday, March 4, 2017

"Growing Up, I was a picky eater. I'm finally starting to expand"-Mike Trout


Image result for eight culinary cuisines of china map






I'm so proud of Randy.  In the beginning of our relationship 28+ years ago, Randy's food preferences were limited to mostly meat and potatoes. My family and I introduced him to various foods that he courageously ate. (minus peas.  He just won't eat them.) some mild and simple like cranberries and cranberry sauce or, something he was surprised he enjoyed, sweet potatoes.

Since I love food and love to cook I love the challenge to find out what he likes and what he doesn't. the point here is that he trusts me.  He trusts me to introduce him to food that I believe he would like. What surprises me is the positive attitude he has from the beginning and especially recently here in China.

Chinese food is tricky. I even struggle with it because each region, just like the USA, has their own flavors and their own way of cooking and serving. There are eight regional cooking cuisines of China.  We are in the Northern region called Shandong Cuisine (aka Lu Cuisine).  It is known for its seafood dishes, dumplings and breads. The most popular ingredients are Maize, Peanuts, Grains and Vinegar. "There are two styles within the Shandong Cuisine: Jiadong-style (seafood dishes with light flavor) and Jinan-style (characterized by the use of soup in its dishes)." (www.chinesepod.com) To be honest, I haven't really experienced cooking these dishes as of yet.  However, that doesn't mean we don't experience it elsewhere.

We have gone to various Chinese restaurants as well as Korean and they have been all good (minus the duck head incident.  I'll explain later). Randy has been willing to go out of his comfort zone and try something new.  Just a month ago, he tried "1000 year old egg". I did not. He explained it as a hard boiled vinegar pickled tasty egg. He wasn't fond of it and probably not have it ever again but he TRIED it (and I didn't). Our favorites? I love the cucumber salad with peanuts, garlic, oils and onions.  We both love the sandwiches at this street vendor in Kaifaqu and the hotpot from Korean restaurants. Oh and an Indian restaurant that serves Naan bread and CHAI!  Do I cook at home?  Yes, but foods that we are familiar with, such as italian food, Grilled meats, scones for breakfast and granola.

Luckily we can get most items we love from import stores like popcorn, chips and such. I have picked up baking that I haven't done for quite some time.  I just finished a batch of granola and two batches of cranberry orange scones that we love to eat on most mornings.  Eggs are abundant since that is a main staple all through China (in fact, they are #2 country in consuming eggs at 18.5 kg. right behind Japan at 18.8 kg. per capita.  The US is #11 at 13.9 kg. per capita) so we eat scrambled eggs with a variety of vegetables mixed in.

Randy is such a trouper.  He is experiencing food that is around us knowing he has a fall back plan, me. He knows that WE can venture out and expand our food preferences. If it doesn't work out, I have a scone ready for him.


No comments:

Post a Comment